Lingyin Temple, founded in 326AD, is regarded as the most recognized temple in Hangzhou with a long history of about 1,700 years. Situated at the west end of the West Lake, the temple is nested between Feilai Mountain and Beigao Mountain. Today, the section flanked by the two mountains is still the Buddhist and poetic destination as throughout history--massive trees, the old temple, dramtic clouds and mist.
Under his leadership of nearly eighteen years, the temple was completely rebuilt and seem as the most famous temple in the south east with solemn atmosphere and grandeur in scale. In 1689, when Kangxi, an emperor in Qing dynasty, made his inspection tours in Jiang’nan, he officiallygifted the name, “Yunlin Temple.”
In new China, Lingyin temple has undergone large-scale restoration many times. Today, with the efforts of Venerable Master Guangquan, abbot of Lingyin temple, it, the ancient temple has prospered with sublime Buddhist Philosophy, great harmony with the public the public--the focus of fully cultivating fine Buddhist traditions and striving to built a pureland in China’s southeast.
Lingyin Temple covers an area of 130 mu, a central axis with Heavenly Kings Hall, the Mahavira Hall, Medicine Buddha Hall, and the Avatamska Hall.
Other magnificant Monestary structures includes Zhizhi Hall (Dharma Hall), Huayan Hall, The Hall of Five Hundred Arhats, Jigong Shrine, Liandeng Pavilion, Huayan Pavillion, Great Compassion Pavillion, Abbot Quarters, etc. The Skanda (Weituo) Bodhisattava statue in the Hall of the Heavenly Kings dates back to the period of Tang Dynasty--engraved from 24 huge camphorwoods, 24.8m high with a dignified, majestic appearence.
Since the establishment of Lingyin Temple, eminent monks and scholars have flooded to this center for cultural gatherings in Buddhism, arts, literary, caligraphy, exchanges in Buddhist and Taoism, which presented the longstanding cultural heritage. In addition, many precious historical relics such as antique josses, instruments, Jingzhuang, stone pagodas, imperial stele, calligraphy and painting still exist in Lingyin Temple.