Temple Halls
Home > Temple Halls > The Statue of Master Kūkai

The Statue of Master Kukai

 

The Statue of Master Kūkai stands amidst bamboo groves, which are located between the Dharma Hall and the Huayan Hall. The 3-meter high statue is cast in bronze, with Master Kūkai in monastic robes, holding Buddhist prayer beads in his left hand, and a tin walking stick in his right hand. The plaque on the pedestal of the statue is written “To Commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the Normalization of Sino-Japanese Friendly Relations” in Chinese characters.

Master Kūkai (774-835), was a Japanese monk who exerted a profound influence upon Japan in many aspects, such as Japanese Buddhism, literature, language and so on. Desiring to learn more about Buddhism, Kūkai went to China in the 2nd year of Enryaku calendar (804). He set off from Fujian Province and visited Lingyin Temple when he passed by Hangzhou. For the purpose to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the normalization of Sino-Japanese ties, the Statue of Master Kūkai was set up in November in 2002, as a symbol of the friendship between Buddhist circles in both China and Japan.

 

View: 1934